Denison Church of the Nazarene was organized on June 26th, 1910 by Rev. S. W. Gregory with ten charter members. For the first few months services were held in the homes of the members, chiefly the homes of George and Mary Pierce and Brother Basham. Later, a barn was rented in the east part of town, followed by a store building on S. Armstrong. For some months services were held in the store building and then space was rented in the Methodist Church on Tone Avenue. The church continued to hold services in the Methodist church until 1912 when we purchased what was known as the Red Mission out in the West End from the Baptist people. We worshipped there until September 18th, 1918 when we sold out and bought the Grace Methodist Church at 231 West Texas Street. The church would remain at this location for the next eighty years.
In 1938, during the ministry of Rev. O.F. Langford, the church was remodeled, enlarged, and veneered with native rock. During the ministry of Rev. H.F. Crews, a 4,000 square foot Sunday school annex was constructed. During Rev. Crews fifteen and one half year pastorate the church continued to grow, reaching a membership of 257, Sunday school enrollment of 450, and average attendance in excess of 300.
A new sanctuary was built during the fiftieth year of organization under the leadership of Rev. Lawrence Gholson, who labored many long hours along with faithful laymen in completing this beautiful structure.
During the ministry of Rev. Richard Dages, the foyer and entrance doors were improved, and the offices were added.Remodeling continued during the pastorate of Rev. Jim Cooper, this time the educational and fellowship facilities.; It soon became apparent that the church would need to relocate if future growth would be possible. The church purchased five beautiful acres on Crawford Street in west Dension.
Construction of the present facility began in 1997 under the leadership of Rev. Arlie Kyzer, and was completed in November of 1998. Many members took steps of faith and sacrificed to make this vision a reality, and God has truly blessed us at this location.
At least twenty eight men and women have been called into full-time pastoral ministry from the altars of DCN, including two district superintendents (Dr. Jim Blankenship and Dr. W.M. Lynch). We are nearing one hundred years of ministry in Grayson County. God has richly blessed us during the last century, but we believe our best days lie ahead!